WASHINGTON, D.C. — AAA has released its annual list of hotels and restaurants that received four and five diamonds, and several D.C. and Northern Virginia establishments received top honors.
The winners were honored during a special reception at The Newsuem Wednesday.
“The Five and Four Diamond Awards are the most coveted symbols of excellence for lodgings and restaurants,” Brenda Hunsberger, Senior Vice President, Leisure Travel and Merchandise, AAA Mid-Atlantic said in a statement.
AAA inspectors visited about 1,200 hotels and restaurants each week to determine the winners.
Five Diamond hotels in D.C. and Northern Virginia include (the year indicates when they first achieved this rating):
A total of 121 hotels in the U.S. received a Five Diamond Rating during the past 12 months.
“Attaining a Five Diamond rating is an exceptional accomplishment that signifies meticulous attention to detail, creativity in enhancing comfort, outstanding service and memorable guest experiences,” said Michael Petrone, director of AAA Inspections & Diamond Ratings.
Fewer than half of one percent of the 27,000 AAA Inspected & Approved hotels receive the Five Diamond Rating, while just 0.2 percent of the 31,000 inspected restaurants are Five Diamond Rated.
Five Diamond restaurants in D.C. and Northern Virginia include:
Only 68 restaurants in the country received a Five Diamond rating.
“To qualify for the rating, a restaurant must consistently provide leading-edge cuisine of the finest ingredients, uniquely prepared by an acclaimed chef and served by expert service staff in extraordinary surroundings,” the organization said.
The Inn at Little Washington Dining Room has maintained the rating for 30 consecutive years, since 1988, which is the longest Five Diamond tenure, the organization said.
Four Diamond hotels in D.C. and Northern Virginia include:
- Fairmont Washington, D.C., Georgetown (1985)
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. (2004)
- Omni Shoreham Hotel (2001)
- Park Hyatt Washington D.C. (2007)
- Rosewood Washington, D.C. (2014)
- The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City, Arlington, VA (1990)
- Lansdowne Resort, Leesburg, VA (1991)
- Hyatt Regency Reston, Reston, VA (1991)
- Hilton McLean Tysons Corner, Tysons Corner, VA (2012)
- The Ritz-Carton, Tysons Corner, Tysons Corner, VA (1992)
- Middleton Inn, Washington, VA (1998)
Hotels at the Four Diamond level, just 6.1 percent of the AAA Inspected & Approved hotels, are also an exclusive group. This year, there are 1,676 Four Diamond hotels in the U.S.
Four Diamond restaurants in D.C. and Northern Virginia include:
- Bourbon Steak, Washington, D.C. (2009)
- Komi Washington, D.C. (2012)
- Marcel’s by Robert Wiedmaier Washington, D.C. (2004)
- minibar by Jose Andres Washington, D.C. (2015)
- Restaurant Eve, Alexandria, VA (2012)
- 2941 Restaurant, Falls Church, VA (2004)
- L’Auberge Chez Francois & Jacques’ Brasserie, Great Falls, VA (1992)
Only 2.1 percent of AAA Inspected & Approved restaurants – 665 – made the Four Diamond list for 2018, including 52 added this year.
Photo: Room 24 at the Parsonage at The Inn At Little Washington in Washington, VA. (Photo by Joseph Victor Stefanchik for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Get the Washington DC newsletter
More from Jewelry
A new survey finds that consumers have doubts about the “realness” of lab-grown diamonds, while another poll found that younger …
(Updates with company and analyst comment, share price movement, details)LONDON, May 24 (Reuters) - Mining firm Petra Diamonds (Frankfurt: …